Compared to a bladed power tools like circular saws, powered belt sanders are far less intimidating to use and are much safer. Despite this users should be aware that a belt sander is still a very heavy piece of equipment that has a lot of power. It can be very dangerous if general and specific instructions are not followed carefully. Here are 10 Belt Sander safety rules to keep in mind when operating a belt sander or any power tools.
Belt Sander Safety
1. Keep your work area clean, well lit and clear of any debris. Clean any accumulated dust particles or flammable liquids. Belt sanders can cause sparks which can ignite the dust or fumes.
2. Do not carry the power tool by the cord it can cause the cord to rip and become exposed. If the cord gets damage replace it immediately.
3. Avoid wearing any loose clothing, jewelry or watches that may get caught. If you have long hair tied it up or keep it contained.
4. Wear the necessary safety equipment. Wear eye protection, dust mask, hearing protection and a hard hat for all appropriate conditions. Regular eye glasses or sunglasses do not count as eye protection.
5. Make sure the belt sander is turned off before plugging it in. Do not plug in the sander with your finger the power switch. The sander can get away from you quite easily when you are not ready.
6. Do not expose the sander to rain or wet conditions.
7. If the sander comes with a dust bag make sure it is attached securely to the spout.
8. Use a clamp or some other practical way to secure the work piece to a stable table. Using your hand or holding it against your body is not a safe method. It can cause the piece to fly away causing serious damage to your work and yourself.
9. Do not overreach when sanding it can cause you to lose balance and fall over. Always keep proper balance, keep both hands on the belt sander and move with your sander for better control and remember to wear proper footwear.
10. Be alert when using any power tool or heavy equipment. Do not operating while under the influence of medication, drugs or alcohol.